January 10, 2013
Build Your Custom Home Better
With the rebuilding of the New Jersey Shore in full swing, we thought it would be appropriate to talk about how you can build your custom home better than ever before. There are so many products and building materials available now that are geared specifically for a beach environment and energy efficiency is better than ever before. So if your building a custom home along the Jersey Shore or rebuilding your existing home after Hurricane Sandy, here are some products and materials you may want to consider:
- Energy Efficiency – using products that are energy efficient, such as plumbing, lighting and HVAC can make your home comfy and cozy while lessening your carbon footprint! Rebuilding is a perfect time to invest a little bit more time and money into products like high efficiency water heaters, Energy Star rated appliances, insulation, furnaces and air conditioning units that will help to make your home more efficient so you can save on your utility costs.
- Exterior materials – there are many roofing, siding, window and door options on the market today that are not only energy efficient (satisfying #1, above), but also manufactured specifically for homes that are built in climates such as the beach and shore. These products take into account the extreme climate and weather that can manifest itself, from the hot, humid heat of the summer to the storms and wind in the fall and winter. Be sure to check with your builder on recommendations for the best products and materials for the exterior of your home. such as hurricane shutters. If you are in the process of rebuilding your home, now is the time to make sure these options are part of your plan.
- Interior finishes – there are many design trends for interior home materials that you can incorporate into your new home. Some of the top ten trends for 2013 include brass metal tones to add warmth and style, classic fabrics and things that are “pretty”. With the kitchen being the center and heart of the house, homey kitchens are trending big and combining modern with vintage materials like slate and irregular wood floors are all the rage. Not sure if we are loving this one, but polished, high gloss and lacquer are also big for finishes in the home for 2013. An emphasis on art and bright colors are a fun way to make a personal statement in your home.
- FEMA Updates – with the FEMA deadline fast approaching on January 30th, this is a reminder that in order to qualify for any type of assistance you need to register with FEMA and obtain your number. As a matter of fact, what many 2ndhomeowners on LBI don’t realize is that if you rent your home out for a number of weeks in the summer it can be considered a business and you may qualify for assistance and low interest lows from the Small Business Administration. And while we are not FEMA experts by any stretch it doesn’t hurt to explore what the requirements are with regard to qualifying, so be sure to visit the FEMA website and the SBA website before you count yourself out of these programs.
- Putting it all together – with everything that our NJ Shore has been through in the past three months in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, we have to look at the progress that has been made in such a short period of time. It’s important to have realistic time frames when you are planning to rebuild your home and choosing a builder that you can trust to get the job done will help give you peace of mind. Builders that specialize in the area you are building your home can help make the process more streamlined and efficient. Relying on your builder to help you make the right choices in materials and products for your home can make a huge difference in the future.
Remember, building your custom home on LBI or any other part of the New Jersey Shore can be a rewarding experience, especially when you are sitting on your deck, facing the ocean or the bay and enjoying the cool sea breezes with a drink in hand. There may be a long road ahead before you get to that point, but Stonehenge Building and Development is here to help. Contact us today to get started on your new custom home today.