November 16, 2012
Tips for Rebuilding After Hurricane Sandy
Superstorm Sandy packed quite a punch and with the homes that were damaged or destroyed in areas hard hit like Long Beach Island it’s important that homeowners who need help rebuilding their homes not be overwhelmed with the enormity of what lies ahead. Stonehenge Building & Development is here to help. We have been building homes on LBI and the mainland for decades and have helped countless homeowners throughout the process. Here are some tips for rebuilding after Hurricane Sandy from an experienced shore builder on how to rebuild your home.
- Make sure you’ve contacted all the necessary government and insurance for inspections before you get started. Here is a link to a website for New Jersey Builders Association that has valuable information for Hurricane Sandy Relief and how to donate.
- Once you are ready, contact a local builder who has a solid reputation and is experienced in building homes in the area you are rebuilding. Do not fall for out of area contractors who provide “hit-and-run” type services. They are not invested in your community like a local builder and are there only to make money and leave the problems that will come up later.
- Let your builder guide you in determining the best materials and design features for your family’s needs. A knowledgeable builder can provide much-needed advice at a time when you may not be able to focus.
- Let your builder coordinate the project with subcontractors and obtain the necessary permits for all work to be done on your home. This will save you valuable time that you can use to focus on your work and family.
- Make sure that you are working with a contractor that is licensed in the state of NJ. There are a lot of “contractors” working out of trucks that are not legitimate companies.
- Mold remediation is a key factor with flood damaged homes. Proper steps must be taken to ensure that the home is mold free before construction takes place. There are mold remediation specialists who can help with this process.
Stonehenge Building and Development is dedicated to helping our towns get back on their feet. It will be a long road, but we are already helping homeowners remove their damaged finishes including insulation, sheetrock, hardwood floors, carpeting, etc. We’ve also helped those that need to winterize their homes accomplish that. For every invoice we issue for these types of services we are adding $50.00 towards a donation to the Red Cross. We’ve been able to help a displaced family from Beach Haven whose home is no longer livable by opening one of model homes in our Hampton Ridge development for them to stay in the interim. We are helping where we can and would like to help you too. Please click here for more information on our rebuilding services.